Thursday 7 July 2011

physics academy @QMUL

During the week of the 4th July I have been attending a physics academy at Queen Mary. This has been a chance to explore a range of topics I wouldn't otherwise cover and to work with both students and researchers.
We received lectures in condensed matter physics, particle physics and one on solar physics.
I chose to do a project on detecting muons. I will be presenting my presentation tomorrow.
Here is a quick example of some of the content:





















We have been using a scintillator to detect these in a lab. Here is a pic:





We managed to measure the half life of a muon pretty accurately (our experimental value was 2.185μs, close to the accepted value of 2.2) so this was pretty pleasing.










I will try to put some more of what we have been doing soon
take care
Obi
x

No comments:

Post a Comment